Sunday, April 13, 2014

These Are a Few of my Favorite Things: Books

So, my last post was about the few things I do to help keep myself from going completely insane, which got me thinking: there are so many things that I love. That inspired this post: My favorite things.

Specifically, this week I am going to tell you about a few of my favorite books. Reading is definitely one of my favorite ways to relax and it also allows you to experience a world and a life without leaving the comfort of your home. It's basically a cheap way to travel, if you ask me. I mean, could you imagine the price of a ticket to Middle Earth? Meanwhile, you can get The Lord of the Rings for as little as 10 bucks. What a bargain.



Here are the books that currently make my top 5:


  1. A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin
    Okay, okay. This is actually a series of books, but you didn't actually expect me to pick just ONE, did you? Every single book in this unfinished series is such an adventure, with so many different characters and plot lines, it's basically impossible to lose interest. But there isn't so much going on that you get confused; just enough to make it seem realistic--despite the dragons. I'm just hoping George R. R. Martin can finish books 6 and 7 before the HBO series gets there! I love watching the show, but I'm the type of person who wants to read the book first, especially considering the show has already made a few significant changes to the events that occur in the books. I am especially mad at a certain character that they just invented.

  2. Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple
    Definitely on the other end of the spectrum from ASOIAF, but such a good book in a completely different way. There's a fabulous aspect of mystery without being too cliché and, just like ASOIAF, just enough to keep your attention without losing you completely. It also touches on family life and expected societal roles, and a brief mention about mental health, so I definitely recommend it to someone currently struggling with one of those issues.

  3. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
    If you haven't heard about this book, you certainly will soon. It's been made into a movie and is coming out in theaters June 6! How exciting. Like most of John Green's books, it's rather sad, but with a twist. You'll cry, but you'll also be relatively happy; it's strange. It's a book that makes it seem like you've become a part of the characters' lives, which can be sort of depressing since it is focused around 2 young teens who meet in a cancer support group. Despite the brief feeling of despair, it's a great book for almost anyone and a fabulous read.

  4. Angels and Demons by Dan Brown
    If you haven't seen the movie yet, you should make sure to read the book beforehand. I mean, even if you've seen the movie, READ THE BOOK! The movie is quite an adventure, but multiply that by 100 and you get the book. There are so many plot twists that jump out at you and send you on a roller coaster through The Vatican. If you're looking for an adventure in a book, this is definitely for you. This is the first in the Robert Langdon series by Dan Brown (contrary to belief, since The DaVinci Code--book 2--was made into a movie first) and if you enjoy this one, I definitely recommend you read the others.

  5. The Book of Joby by Mark Ferrari
    This book. Man, this book. I picked it up in my friend's dorm room our freshman year and was hooked by the first paragraph. The writing style of Mark Ferrari is so entrancing, and accompanied by the exciting tale this book holds--loosely based on, shocker, the Book of Job from the Bible--it is an exciting read. Believe it or not, you will be on the edge of your seat for most of this book: fists clenched, eyes wide, biting your lip, just trying to anticipate what's going to happen next. It's quite a thriller, but not in a Silence of the Lambs way; more of a Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince way.

If you've read any of these, you should definitely tell me whether or not you like them!

And if anyone has any book suggestions, I am so ready to take them! Like I said in my last post, I am currently reading Bossypants, but as soon as I am done with that, my reading list is completely open!

No comments:

Post a Comment