Tuesday, April 22, 2014

All-Nighter


So, who's a fan of all-nighters? I'm really not sure how I feel about them, especially as I'm currently enduring one right this moment. Hopefully this will be the last one of my undergraduate career, but I guess only these next two weeks will tell.

Oh my God, I only have two weeks left of school. How weird is that??

But, back to the point.

All-nighters.

How do we let it get to the point where we have to force ourselves to stay awake just to finish the work we've been assigned all semester? I know, for me, it's the pressure; I work best under pressure. But that doesn't stop me from freaking out, so sure I won't actually finish my assignment in time. I've never not-finished an assignment, but that doesn't stop me from worrying about it! It's a whole lot of undue stress, honestly.

So, tonight/this morning as I'm writing this term paper that's due at 8 am (why did I just start this???) I'm obviously stressing out about not being able to complete it. This worry is completely unfounded, considering I have almost seven hours to write two more paragraphs, but I worry nonetheless.

So this is my advice for you: don't pull an all-nighter.

Especially if you have plenty of advance notice about the assignment. Sure, procrastinating is fine; I don't get why everybody acts like it's such a big deal. But don't, and I mean DO NOT, procrastinate to the point where you will literally have a 15 page paper due in 8 hours and you haven't even thought about it for two seconds.

And do you wanna know when it gets especially bad?

When you have to pull more than one all-nighter in a row.

I've been 86 hours without sleep before, and I promise you that it is not something I recommend. I showed up to an important presentation with my clothes on backwards and my work sub-par.

Sure, I look back on it and laugh now, but it really was no fun. It was hell. Like I said, not something I recommend.

And all-nighters are just so not good for you. I can already tell that my sleep schedule is going to be fucked up by this. And let's not even discuss my eating habits for the night.

I just really, really hope that this is my last all-nighter. REALLY.

No comments:

Post a Comment