Sunday, June 22, 2014

LACK Hack


I'm sure you've heard of them: people buy the pieces from the LACK series at IKEA because of the price, and then spruce them up themselves to make them more personalized and, well, attractive!

I didn't intend to do one of these projects for a while, but when I went to IKEA and saw a LACK coffee table for $7 (it was a display piece and had a scratch), I just COULD NOT say no!



So, when I get back from my cruise, I'm going to embark on this little adventure: to hack my lack, if you will.
Okay, that wasn't as cute as I thought it would be. Gold star for trying though, right?

Here's my plan:

Scrape off the sticker residue and then pray it with a white primer, both to cover up the scratch and provide a better surface for painting.

I had a thought of maybe painting a Lilly Pulitzer print (this one, specifically) on the top and leaving the rest white, but I came across a couple of potential issues: I would have to alter the colors of the print to make it match my decor (if you can call it that) and I would worry about having such a Summery print on my coffee table in the Fall and Winter months.

Trivial things, I know, but things that bother me nonetheless.

So then my inspiration led me to Kate Spade. Obviously.

I wanted something timeless and classic.

I wanted black stripes.

Think this tablecloth:



 Only actually painted onto the table!

I'm planning on having the black stripes start on the ends, with the stripes extending all the way down the legs--so the outside part of the leg will be black, as well. Then the stripes will alternate black and white. Duh.

I'll leave the rest of the table white and it'll be done!

This is all probably going to be ten times more difficult than I'm anticipating, but...oh well. It's what I want to do and I'm GOING to do it!

I can't wait until I actually get started on it and get it done! There will definitely be a post featuring the finished product.

What do you think??

No comments:

Post a Comment